Monday, June 28, 2010

Look at it from a different perspective

The original posting of this article is here.
Be sure to check on the current issue of Explode Your Paradigm here

I did something last night I had never done before. My wife and I participated in the NITE Ride, a 20 mile ride through Indianapolis that began at 11:00 PM at night. Wew were joined by about 3000 others many of whom have been participating in the ride, conducted annually by CIBA (Central Indiana Biking Association), for years. I rode through streets and through places that were very familiar to me and that I had ridden around and through for years. What was amazing was I did it at night, with the assist of a small headlamp (until it broke half way through the ride) and a blinking tail light. The surroundings were the same but everything was different. There were policemen on every corner holding up traffic allowing us to pass. Volunteers pointed out potholes and other obstructions and where to turn. Looking ahead was a ribbon of a hundred or so blinking red lights. Looking back, well you didn’t want to look back too often, you may run into a pothole. I came away with a new appreciation for the city of Indianapolis, our police department, and the volunteers that made the event possible. I learned that something very familiar can become even more exciting when looked at from a different perspective.

In a scene from Dead Poets Society John Keating (played by Robin Williams) has his students eat with their non dominant hand. He asks what is different? What challenges does this create. How do you see the world differently?

So what can we learn? What was reinforced to me last night is to look at obstacles, opportunities, and basic responsibilities from a different perspective. You may come up with insights and ideas that you never thought possible.

Until next time – all the best!

RolandB

No comments: