Monday, January 7, 2008

Goals for 2008

Thanks to all who have been reading my blog. Sorry it hasn’t been updated as often as I would like. Something to work on in 2008.

At the end of Mass this past weekend the server offered the blessing “May all of you achieve your goals during 2008.” My wife whispered to me, “may all of us set some goals in 2008.” She was thinking of our two teenage sons but it got me thinking, what are my goals, both professional and personal, for 2008? I'm thinking of something much more than a new year’s resolution. What do I want to accomplish this year, how am I going to do it, and how am I going to know that I've done it?

I’ve mentioned Kevin Eikenberry several times over the past few months. A few weeks ago he posted a very informative tool on his website. “Make your 2008 Great: 26 Remarkable Questions to Unleash Your Potential. A copy can be downloaded here.

The tool is a list of 26 questions each on its own page. Kevin offers some helpful tips on how to answer each.

This week I am working on the first 13 questions which are reflection questions from the past year. The rest of the month I plan on working on the next 13, projection questions for 2008 that hopefully will help me draft goals and action plans that are challenging and achievable.

My feeling is successful individuals go through this process in some way to build from their past experiences to achieve results in the future. This tool is helping me organize my thoughts much better than if I would start with a blank sheet of paper. It also is a tool I can use throughout the year to gage how I am doing. Try it out and let me (and Kevin) know if you find it useful.

Happy New Year!

Until next time – all the best!

RolandB

1 comment:

Kevin Eikenberry said...

Roland - Thanks for mentioning me and sharing the tool. I am confident it will help anyone who uses it! :)

Kevin Eikenberry
author of Remarkable Leadership
http://RemarkableLeadershipBook.com